We forgive on two levels, one on forgivable things and one on unforgivable things: you’ve done a forgivable thing to me, you insulted my cheesecake the other day, and I forgive you. But you broke up with me last month, and that’s unforgivable.
… I can’t forgive everybody. Personally, I can’t do it. People hurt me, and I keep it for a long time. There’s a separate word in Tibetan called tshig pa [spite] which means slow burning. I have tshig pa, someone hurt me, I’ve got tshig pa. I don’t say anything, I still get up and give nice talks, and I’m very reasonable in class, and I can sit there and pretend to meditate, everybody thinks I am. But inside I have tshig pa. How can they do this to me? How can they do this to me? I’ll never forgive them.” —Geshe Michael Roach in 2010, the year his secret marriage to Christie McNally ended in divorce
I did not realize the intensity of GM’s bitterness toward me. He is a formidable enemy, especially when you do not even realize you have one.” —Christie McNally, 2013
You can’t get a glass of water in India, you can’t get a glass of water which you can drink [without getting diarrhea]. So here is this thing, you are looking at it, will this kill me, you see. And I am talking literal, you know. We [McNally and I] were very sick there [from diarrhea] and there’s nothing you can do, because the penicillin is bad too, you see, I am not kidding, I am not kidding. Maybe somebody in the factory wanted an extra 50 cents, they threw in some rat poison or something.” —Geshe Michael Roach, 2006
- Fact check Why did Geshe Michael’s secret marriage end in divorce?
- Self-delusion: a proof of concept Why did he give up on his method?
- Unforgiven Whom didn’t he forgive?
- Mission Implausible: “Coffee Meditation” and the Four-Step Method Can his 4-step method possibly work?
- Karma of Love and Breakups Why couldn’t he plant the seeds to hold his marriage together?
- An Eye for the Divine Did Geshe Michael Roach receive blessings from the “angels” in his life?
- Come Together: The Naked Truth When is it permissible for a monk in the Dalai Lama’s tradition to have a female partner?
It is regrettable that Geshe Michael Roach is now unsupportive of McNally who taught by his side for many years and whom he had claimed to be the tantric Buddha Vajrayogini.